Shootout at the Mango Corral, Part II

(Part I, below)

While the shooting continued, I thought it was the longest two minutes of my life. Until it stopped. Then footsteps came toward me along the side of the house where I couldn’t see. That seemed even longer.

I crouched there, gun in my hand, trying to remember the sequence

cock the gun, aim, squeeze the trigger, don’t jerk, hold it steady

while I waited to see who came around that corner.

Meanwhile, Tom’s wife, scared out of her wits, had squealed out of the driveway, some sort of commotion as she pulled out onto the road, and she was gone. I knew she’d call the police right away. Two cops under attack in a grove, presumably by druggies? How long could it take before we got help, right?

The footsteps came closer and I held the gun up, ready, just as Tom and Paul walked into sight. About fainting with relief, I stood, looked them both over for injury, saw none. They said there were several men, they thought they’d hit one. I told them where Tom’s wife had gone. They debriefed each other, confirmed their opinion about how it had gone, then went into the house to find the bullet hole through the window and the bullet in the wall.

We left the lights on, even though it illuminated all of us as potential targets. It was less scary that way. And we waited. And waited. About 45 minutes later, we saw a huge armada of red lights heading our way, officers of the Metro-Dade police force based 10 miles north in Cutler Ridge. Probably a dozen cars pulled in the driveway, the flashing lights and chatter of police radios a grating change from the previous silence. Both Tom and Paul lit into them for taking so long, and some senior Metro cop came to calm them down, got the story, and then directed officers on scene to tape off the area.

The “area” included the carport where my van was still parked, and I objected, because I’d need the vehicle. I’d been practicing law about a year, but criminal law and police procedure wasn’t my field, so I didn’t know if they had to keep it. Eventually Tom talked them out of impounding the van, but Metro insisted they had to take all the guns on scene. I thought Paul would have a stroke. He’s yelling that it took 45 minutes for them to arrive on an ‘officer needs help’ call, and then they wanted his weapons? How would he be able to protect his family? Did they intend to post someone there? The officer didn’t seem to care. (Paul calmed down after Tom reminded him he had two dozen or more at his house and he’d be glad to share. Cops.)

Tom’s wife showed up soon after, telling the police there had been a man waiting at the end of the driveway, trying to block her from her mad escape. She told the officers she thought she ran into him. But they never found anyone injured, either from the car, or the shooting. At least no one came forward for treatment.

Only when the investigation was finished did we find out what Metro actually thought had happened. When the call came in, they assumed a drug deal gone bad between local dealers and dirty cops. They were prepared to arrest anyone on the scene, apparently, and finding frightened wives and boxes of kids’ clothing convinced them this wasn’t the time. We got the guns back. But we moved in anyway.

I know that sounds crazy to anyone who didn’t live in Miami in the 1980s. It was the year before K was born, and I’d been a newspaper reporter for six years, covering everything including dead bodies and drugs. Paul had been a cop for about the same length of time. Miami Vice wasn’t just a tv show for us; it was a way of life.

We never went out without a gun. We locked everything all the time. We watched over our shoulders all day, every day. So we enjoyed the fruit, and the pool, and tea on the veranda on Sunday mornings with the jazz station playing. We had one more theft, when someone broke in and took a VCR. A different morning, I came face to face with an unknown black male as I walked onto the patio, scaring both of us, especially as I went running back in, alone with my three-month old daughter, yelling to no one that they’d better get the gun.

One night when we saw a flashlight in the back of the grove, Paul and I each went out with a gun, ready to defend ourselves, him taking a north row and me taking an east, meeting up where the intruder turned out to be my father, who happened to be staying with us. He’s lucky we weren’t trigger happy.

During the 70s the shootings were mostly dealer on dealer, gang on gang, and everyone else was fairly safe. In the 80s this became less and less true. In the six months before we left South Florida, there were five shooting deaths within five minutes of our house. No place to raise kids. So we bid farewell to the tropics and hello to rural Pennsylvania, where the most excitement we’ve had is suspicion of a meth lab dumping into the sewer in front of our house.

Somehow, that’s just fine with us.

11 thoughts on “Shootout at the Mango Corral, Part II

  1. Yikes, woman! You are a wild one, I tell ya’. 😉 Good story, think I’ve checked your blog about 50 times waiting for part II…


  2. *chuckles* thank y’all… I know my husband got cussed out at school today because one of his students is a regular and she wanted Part II ASAP!!

  3. It’s funny, I remember (and have told that story) so different. 🙂

    The part I remember most is being dust-bustered while eating a cookie talking about how mad I was going to be if they took my Kermit the Frog doll. The things we remember.

    Well told!

  4. You’re certainly no shrinking violet!

    I would have moved, too, though.

    Thanks for the great telling of quite a story!

  5. What a thrillingly episode, I´m glad it had a happy end. You are a fabulous storyteller!
    In Denmark, it´s not allowed private people to have a gun, or any other weapon.

  6. Giiid, police officers in the States on the whole have waaay too many guns. Most of the ones I know have an arsenal anyway.

    Beth, dear, I’m just glad you missed the drama and were safe at Tom’s place. But I bet you remember when we almost shot your grandfather… 🙂

  7. Thank you for the rest! Great story– and, I agree– Well told! ‘Glad you survived to tell the tale!

  8. By the way– next time you post a “part 1” I’ll wait to read it until I see “part 2”– Suspense just kills me!! 🙂

Comments are closed.